Categories
Blogging How-To Sys Admin

WordPress Permalink 404 with HTTPS

The time had come to switch this blog to HTTPS given the ease and cost ($0) of deploying certificates from LetsEncrypt. So that was easily done under Apache – create a new conf file for the SSL site in /etc/apache2/sites-available, and then update the old conf for the non-SSL site to redirect before requesting a new cert using certbot-auto -d mike.mcmurray.co.nz –apache. WP handled that just fine but only the admin pages and the main home page displayed as expected, other pages were just a 404.

So I made the .htaccess file writable by WP and updated the permalink rules from the WP admin console to have the file updated. Nope, still the same.

The rewrite rules are the issue, it’s just that they’re not being allowed to work. The new conf file for the SSL config needs to allow the web server to override the more secure defaults. So this needs to be in the SSL configuration file – note this is a sub-section, not the whole thing.

 <VirtualHost _default_:443>
     ServerAdmin admin@yoursite.com
     ServerName blog.yoursite.com
     ServerAlias blog.yoursite.com
     DocumentRoot /var/www/html/blog

     ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
     CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined

     <Directory /var/www/html/blog/>
         Options FollowSymLinks
         AllowOverride All
         Order allow,deny
         Allow from all
     </Directory>

     # SSL Engine Switch:
     # Enable/Disable SSL for this virtual host.
     SSLEngine on
     ...

</VirtualHost>

 

Categories
Sys Admin

Change of Host = Change of Performance

As per the previous posts I’ve moved hosts over the last week and now I think everything is across. While having a quick look at the Google Web Developer Tools to check for errors I also see the following little chart indicating the time it takes Google to fetch a page from this sub-domain and WordPress site.

google-site-perf

As you can see the last week shows a very clear decrease in the time to download a page. As far as I can tell the only thing to change has been the provider, and as part of that the underlying web server. They (previous host) use Nginx and now I run what is probably a fairly default LAMP stack. I’m going to assume they can tweak the hell out of that Nginx config they have for all their customers, but it just shows that cheap do it yourself servers on SSD (perhaps key here) can definitely perform.

So after this post I’ll wait for the load to increase and eat my words later. 🙂